Tour to Byzantium with Patriarchate visit
Join us on a journey around the Golden Horn to see important Orthodox Christian sites, Byzantine walls and prisons, and more.
Duration: 3 Hours
Live Guide: English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Arabic.
Pick-up Services: Pick up is available from centrally located hotels.
- Walk through the Byzantine streets of Istanbul.
- Learn about the Empire that ruled the city for over 1,000 years.
- See important Orthodox Christian sites.
On this half-day tour, you will see:
– The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople at Fener: The Patriarchate is an important part of the Eastern Orthodox Church.
– The Church of Panagia of Blachernae: This church was built on a sacred spring and is a famous shrine to the Virgin Mary.
– The Anemas Dungeons: These dungeons were used as prisons during the Byzantine period for people who revolted against the Emperor. It was named after the first person to be imprisoned there, Michael Anemas, a Byzantine General. It has 14 dungeons and two basements below sea level.
– Tekfur Palace: You’ll get a glimpse of the outside of Tekfur Palace which was built in the 12th century next to the old city walls.
– Chora Museum: Originally a monastery and then a medieval Greek Orthodox Church, Chora Church was converted into a mosque during the Ottoman Empire and became a museum in 1948. The whole interior is covered in beautiful Byzantine mosaics and frescoes that were restored when the building became a museum. Prepare to be amazed because they are truly stunning! The mosaics and frescoes depict scenes from the New Testament including the birth of Christ, the journey of the Magi, Christ going to Jerusalem for Passover and Jesus’ miracles and the Apocrypha.
– Byzantine City Walls
- Entrance fees.
- Guiding services.
- A/C transportation.
- Free pick up and drop off from/to hotels in the city-centre.
Your hotel lobby.
Know Before You Go
- This tour is guaranteed to depart every Tuesday. On other days, a minimum of 6 people must book the tour in order for it to depart.
- Chora Museum is closed on Wednesdays.
- Please ask if pick-up is available from your hotel.
- Source: https://istanbul.com/tour-to-byzantium-with-patriarchate-visit